Windows is very weak on security compared to Linux or Mac OS X. This is because of presence of many types of malicious codes known as worms, Virus and malware. These dangerous programs have evolved with windows and are more powerful and threatening now. Hackers and other Black Hat genius keep working on either gaining control to your system to hack your personal data like social network and email login passwords, your credit card and other economic details that your either store or share using your computer. I am here with a 5 Step guide that can make windows more strong and firewalled to stay against attacks.
Steps to safeguard your Windows system from Virus, worms and malicious codes:
- Install a good Anti-Virus: Whenever you purchase a new system with Windows pre-installed or install a new windows copy the first step just after installing windows should be installing a good Anti-Virus. You can buy paid anti-virus like WebRoot, Nod32, Norton or Kaspersky or install a Free Anti-Virus. This keeps your computer safe from any attack coming from a virus on USB drive or a worm on any software or website you open. After installing Anti-Virus, do full system scan to ensure that there are no Virus on your system.
- Turn on the Windows or Anti-Virus packaged Firewall: Firewall is essential to keep a check on Virus, Worms, and Trojans attacking your system. You will either get a Firewall enabled Anti-Virus like Nod32, Norton or you can enable Windows 7 Build in Firewall. You can easily enable windows Firewall by going to Windows Control panel and then to Firewall settings.
- Enable the Windows Automatic update: Most of Anti-virus will suggest you to keep your Windows Automatic updates on. If you are on a broadband then I will suggest you to enable security update so that your windows inbuilt Firewall gets update and always stays secure from Virus. You can easily enable Windows update; just browse to Windows update using your Windows Control panel.
- Check your Internet browsers add-ons: one of the main entrance gateways for malicious code is your Internet browser. It is also very critical application where you use your personal information like Credit cards, Social networks and email passwords. To ensure that you are safe check what add-ons are installed on your browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Windows Internet explorer. Always download and install browser from reputed software directories or even more secure their original download web-pages. Also, check your email clients like Outlook or Thunderbird for installed add-ons this will keep your emails even more secure.
- Strategize your computing for security: Negligence of Computer user is one of the most causes of effect of Virus. Sometime our Anti-Virus stops us from opening a application in executable files, websites or storage to warn against malware or Virus nature of that file, but we ignore that and go ahead. This mostly happens while opening infected exe files, websites, USB storage, email attachment, downloaded files. We should first gain more knowledge about what we are opening and then only ignore the Anti-Virus warning. You should also scan your computer for Virus regularly (weekly recommended) to ensure that your computer stay safe.
Recommended: Best free Antivirus for PC Security
I have included almost all steps to ensure that your Windows system is secure and firewalled against Virus, malware, adware, Trojans, worms, Hacker attacks etc. You just need to adapt this guide step by step to enhance your security.