What are QR Codes?
Now a days the square patterns on different products are increasingly capturing our everyday lives.
“QR codes are two dimensional bar codes, usually used in the form of cubes that can be photographed with the camera phone. They were developed in 1994 by Denso Wave, a Toyota supplier in order to improve logistics. Today special apps transform the square matrix of black and white dots to the encrypted information and embeds clickable links, phone numbers or text messages into it. The main advantage of the QR code is, even if 30 percent code is destroyed, it can be decoded successfully.”
A camera phone with suitable code reader software detects this information and decryption takes place through use of mobile/ computer apps. Particularly often QR codes also came in advertising and in newspapers. There they stand, especially for complicated or long Internet addresses. The user only needs to hold the code in front of the camera of the mobile phone or laptop in order to get the desired information. QR codes are always square. The centerpiece is the matrix with their tangled patterns.
QR Code Pattern and its Versions
The black lines and points containing the data to be stored in modules. How many modules includes a QR code will depend on the amount of data. The smallest QR Code (version 1), 21×21 (441) modules. Version 40 has 177×177 (31,329) modules and is correspondingly greater. So that the software in phones or portable data correctly recognizes, a QR code contain additional information. To the position markers in three corners, the reader detects the position of the QR codes. The synchronization elements give the front of the grid matrix. Also, the version number of the QR codes is in the matrix. The display of the data format provides information on the contents of the QR code. A field is the subject orientation, so that the reader recognizes that the inclusion of the code is distorted in perspective.
Where the Information is Located?
The Matrix with its supposed chaos of lines and dots provides tidy storage. Unlike simple two dimensional bar code to store data in the horizontal and vertical direction. Thus, in the small squares fit about 4,000 alphanumeric characters (letters, numbers, characters). By comparison, the printed on all product packaging EAN barcode ( E uropean A rticle N . umber) comes to 13 numbers Thanks to error correction can be a QR code reading even then, if a piece is missing, or it is something dirty. The higher the error correction level, the less data summarizes the QR code. Incidentally, not QR codes must be black and white. The important thing is, a very high contrast between light and dark areas.
How to read QR codes
You need a mobile phone, a tablet PC or a laptop with a camera and a reader for QR codes.
Barcode scanner with the free barcode scanner to read the information of the so-called bar code. It scans with both the phone’s camera sticker on real products and images on websites.
QR Code Scanner for iPhone:
i-nigma i-nigma recognizes held before the lens QR codes automatically returns the contents on the screen again and connects to the corresponding website.
QR-code scanner for Symbian:
Barcode reader Mobiletag About OVI sells Mobiletag Mobiletag the barcode reader that reads barcodes on Nokia phones. The freeware QR processed images using the built-in camera and calls it on matching content in the browser.
QR Code Scanner for BlackBerry:
BeeTagg BeeTagg makes the BlackBerry to the code reader. The freeware QR process the images using the built-in camera of the Blackberry and calls it on matching content in the BlackBerry Browser.
QR-code scanner for Windows Mobile:
i-nigma barcode scanners for the sub devices with Windows Mobile operating system, i-nigma is one of the best solutions. Very easy to use and support for QR codes, Data Matrix and other formats also allows the forwarding information to other users.
QR-code scanner for Java phones:
NeoReader The free barcode scanner reads the bar code and directs the user to the appropriate further product information on the Internet. The freeware will scan the codes on posters or websites with a mobile phone camera and also evaluates manually entered numerical codes.
Contents of QR codes
The contents of the QR codes is basically composed of text: letters, numbers, symbols. The text can be formatted differently, so a code reader it right the first time associates and provides the appropriate action. However, does not dominate any code reader software all formats. COMPUTERBILD has created QR codes for you to try out. The most common formats are these:
- Internet address : A QR code is in newspapers and advertisements usually links. The lead users without the hassle of typing the address to a website. On which there is then about product information and background reports on newspaper articles.
- Contact : Ever popular are QR codes with contact information, for example on business cards. This makes the receiver the acquisition of data: Simply scan the code and save the contact in the phone or on the computer.
- E-mail : A QR code can contain an entire email, including the receiver. The user has to write the e-mail, but sends them with a click. Possible applications: requests for information or to participate in competitions.
- SMS : write an SMS to participate in an action is too complicated? It is also sufficient to scan the QR code. Then the text is displayed and can be send.
- Geo-Data : A QR code also handles geographic data. This allows the site as in Google Maps.
- Text : This format is suitable for many applications, such as for tickets, travel tickets, short texts or poems.
- Phone Number : With a QR code in the stored number can be run directly on the mobile phone call – if the code reader supports this action.
QR Codes Format
QR codes can be saved as image files, such as GIF , JPEG, TIFF or PNG. They are so versatile such as photos. QR codes can easily print out with an inkjet, laser or label printer, place it on web sites, send them by e-mail or use it as a screen saver.
Which Size Should QR Codes have?
The dimensions are almost limitless. The code needs can be scanned with a reader. A giant QR code on a wall can easily record from several meters away with the camera phone. Too small QR codes, however, may not be so readers with simple optics, cellular phones to focus, and she still decipher. Even if the QR code contains only one Internet address, he should have an edge length of at least 2.5 centimeters. With high quality laser technology can be engraved tiny QR codes, such as on components. This in turn requires precise readers.
Deployment Of QR Code:
- On (Poster) walls. course can be printed and billboard advertising with QR codes. Curious makes but perhaps if the advertisement consists solely of an over-sized code – and this is painted directly on a building wall or on a car.
- . Stickers on this path will select this year probably countless viral marketing experts: QR codes printed on stickers and wildly spread in the city (of course, is not legally un-problematic).However, products such as books, DVDs, computer games (some with built-in cheat codes), can be subsequently used to stick such a pixel square and extend the offer.
- On T-shirts. Namely homemade. Why not carry around business cards with them when all the new contact information much easier (and without the hassle of retyping) scan of the oldies can? Even as a dating alternative clubs imaginable: Your own mobile number as a code to encrypt and print on the shirt. If someone is interested in one, or the one which can scan the code and later secretly call.
- In magazines. advertisements using an embedded QR codes can be expanded wonderfully. The reader attempting to type no more links, but found directly with a scan to product website for more information. The same goes for the paper makers themselves: They can enhance their articles as to online dossier or videos, which can be accessed via the code.
Classic Errors in the Use of QR Codes
Even if the numbers might not look like a huge success: I still think he will come. Especially when they are used still own mistakes are made, which are then happy times covered so that you can say, “QR codes are overrated. This does not work! ”
Then are the three biggest mistakes:
- To Test the QR code . Sounds banal coming, but unfortunately it is true. The code is printed in a large edition, and nobody checked in advance whether that is in the size recognizable – and whether it also refers to the correct page. Because …
- The linked page is not mobile optimized. As is done modern and advertised with a QR code – but the link contained leads to a browser or Facebook page. But who is using QR codes and where? Exactly: There are mainly pedestrians and read the codes with their smartphones. Similarly, the linked pages have short loading times and be optimized for mobile devices. Facebook pages by the way quite often are not. The Facebook app, it is – but if you fly through the browser on your mobile, see the typical fan sites clearly awkward, as on the computer. A turn-off, for sure.
- The QR code is attached where there is no reception. Again, this a classic: The QR code is printed on billboards and the stand – in a dead zone. Scanning is still possible, but nothing happens. The campaign fizzled – or worse, the company looks as if it has as much idea of modern technology like a troglodyte.
Tips to Use QR codes Successfully
- Tip 1: A QR code alone is not a Call to Action
Give your customers a reason to interact. For example, where you write the code clearly, “Scan this code for a discount coupon.” Or: “Watch videos from product X to”.
- Tip 2: Look & Feel success
QR codes do not have to look boring. They can also be made more attractive and fit better into the appearance of your printed matter. Even a logo can be built into the QR code. Change the code, but only to the extent that it continues to be seen for the user as a QR code is.
- Tip 3: Usability
QR codes are read normally with the mobile phone. If your shows QR code on one web site, then this should come along in the form of a mobile optimized landing page. The cardinal sin is to QR codes to link to desktop Web pages that are then read to the user on the phone too much difficulty.
- Tip 4: Testing
In the market various scanning apps and very different smartphones available. Test your code with different equipment and different scanning tools. Only then can you be sure that any user can scan your code successfully.
- Tip 5: Measure
You do not miss out if your campaign is successful, and the conversion rate rises from the tenth of a percent in the percent range, you have to measure it. It should not be alone, the number of scans in focus. Your QR code then indeed fulfilled its purpose “fast” to give more answers. Whether the response to the user but also has an added value, you only learn when you follow up on the retention and further action on your offer.
Use of QR codes for your products and services can definitely helps you in inventory management and also to reach up-to large number of users. Follow the above guidelines for successful implementation of your QR code. If you have doubts and queries regarding QR code, then drop a comment below. We’d be happy to help you out.