Hi I am Prateek Dixit owner of Thetechnoclub. From this article I am going to show you how to setup a networking via LAN. Basic things required while building up a network are
- LAN Cable with rj45 connectors
- Computers between the networking is to be done.
RJ45 is basically called as Register Jacket. It is a piece of plastic bound with different types of wires in a particular and sequential range for the purpose of running of different applications. This jack helps to enable you to ping with the other node.
Entire networking is based on the TCP/IP ports explained in my previous posts. Each computers should be provided with its individual IP address. IP address are basically classified in 3 types A, B, C
ranging from 1 to 255. This range is as follows.
Class A– 0 to 127
Class B– 128 to 191
Class C– 192 to 223
A local area network gives networking features to the computers in close distance with each other in an office,school, building etc.However a LAN can be connected to many LANs based on a varied distance using telephone lines, radio waves.Here are some steps which can help you to build a network at your home on your own.
- The first and the basic step before setting up a network is to check whether LAN drivers are successfully installed on both the computers.
- Then you have to insert both the connectors on the respective computers rj45 ports.
- Ones you are done with it, the next part is of assigning IP addresses.
- Go to Start>Control panel>Network Connections>right-click on Local Area Connection>properties> (TCP/IP)>properties.
- click on Use the following IP address: the next step is to put IP addresses.
- Remember you have to put IP addresses ranging from 1 to 254 only.
- For instance you can put:
IP address: 192.168.1.1
subnet mask:255.255.255.0 (will appear by default)
Default gateway: put same as IP address.
(done for the 1st pc)
Follow the same steps for the second PC bt here you Just have to change the IP address, for instance you can keep it 192.168.1.2 and the other two kept same.Save the settings for both the computer. To test whether the network is working fine you can go to cmd and type in “ping IP” without quotes. If you get a reply, then your network is set up successfully.
ipconfig command is used to get your IP address and other connection details.
Sharing is very important, for a successful usage of documents between two computers. This process is very simple.
Just right-click on the folder you want to share, go to sharing and security, and just allow the folder to be shared. Finish it, now you can access the folder on other computer from My Network Places else you also have a another trick to do it, as you have to go to StartMenu> Run and type there ip of the computer on the network you want to access. When you type this command, it will eventually show you the shared files on the network. After this process you can access all the files shared on the network just as shown in below pic.
Have fun sharing files and playing games.
This article is a part of a unique series to know about networking and building your own network at home. Check all posts in Learn Networking Series.