WLAN technologywireless technology
First of all “what is Wireless LAN??“. The answer to it is wireless Local area network. The complete networking here is done with no wires involved. These are basically computers which covers a wider or a broader area. It is helpline where people or users from one organization want to access the computers of other organization. These are few steps by which you will learn to network via WAN.
- If you have a laptop then no problem as in desktops there is no Wi-Fi service.(recommended free laptops )
- Switch on the Wireless LAN of the laptops you want to connect.
- In this you will have to create a server to which the other laptops will connect.
- for creating a server go to control panel>Wireless Network Setup Wizard.
- Give the desired network name and for security you can either manually assign or an automatic facility is also provided.
In case of manual assigning the key should be exactly 5 or 13 char long. Ones done with this, insert a pen drive and copy the file which you have generated through the wizard.
Your server is created.
- After this process the next part is of assigning of ip addresses.
- Go to Start>Control panel>Network Connections>right-click on Wireless Area Connection>properties> (TCP/IP)>properties.
- click on Use the following IP address: the next step is to put IP addresses.
- Remember you have to put IP addresses ranging from 1 to 254 only.
- For instance you can put
IP address: 192.168.1.1
subnet mask:255.255.255.0 (will appear by default)
Default gateway: put same as IP address.
(done for the 1st pc)
Follow the same steps for the second PC but here you Just have to change the IP address, for instance you can keep it 192.168.1.2 and the other two kept same.Save the settings for both the computer. To test whether the network is working fine you can go to cmd and type in “ping ip” without quotes. If you get a reply, then your network is set up successfully.
The entire game play here is done with the help of routers, switches etc. The latest freaks of these devices will be explained in the next article.
This article is a part of a unique series to know about networking and building your own network at home. Check all posts in Learn Networking Series.