Do you own a Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300(international version) ? There is a good news for all Galaxy S3 owners, it seems Google has started rolling out Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM for it. Originally came with Android OS, v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich), Galaxy S3 users were waiting for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to be rolled out officially by Samsung as early as possible. No official statement has been made yet but guess what we have seen a leaked Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4.
Our firmware guide is for the rooted Galaxy S3, if you have one then proceed. The leaked ROM is still in beta phase and may have some bugs in it, yet somewhat stable with new features included. It’s only a test build of original firmware and you may see some differences when the original firmware is rolled out.
Leaked Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 Features for Galaxy S3 :-
- You’ll see a brand new Jelly Bean clock in the notification bar.
- Palm Swipe will help you to take a screenshot.
- Dormant mode function can be seen in screenshot.
- Some cool new Live Wallpapers.
- We saw a “Reboot into safe mode option” – speculations on not being there in final version.
Below described guide for flashing Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 is only and only for international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number i9300. Kindly check and make sure before proceeding. Go to “Settings > About phone” to check your phone’s exact model number.
- Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 is just a test build of Jelly Bean, so installing it voids your phone’s warranty. So do it at your own rsik, Though by backing up your earlier ROM you can easily flash back it.
- Make sure you are running original Samsung ROM as flashing Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 over any custom ROM can brick your Galaxy S3 i9300.
How to Install Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 on Galaxy S3 i9300 :-
- As flashing Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 on your phone wipes all your phone’s data so better back it up before you proceed any flashing process. Do make a back up of all your SMS, sync your contacts with Gmail application, get a back up of all your call logs, copy all your multimedia files on your PC. It’s always advised to pen down your APN and MMS settings. For that go to “Applications > Settings >Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”. After you have made back up of all your data on your phone, proceed to next step.
- We will flash Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 with the help of CWM recovery method not with usual ODIN flashing so make sure you have CWM installed already.
- Download the below described flashing firmwares :-
Download XXBLG8 ICS Firmware – Samsung-Updates.com-GT-I9300_BTU_1_20120806161432_al03it6wa2.zip
Download XXBLH4 Jelly Bean Firmware – Samsung-Updates.com-GT-I9300-BTU-JB_4_1_1-I9300XXBLH4-OTA-INTERNAL.zip
- Download Samsung USB Drivers to connect Galaxy S3 to your PC.
- After you have downloaded both above firmwares, copy the files to your internal SD card as /sdcard by connecting your Galaxy S3 with the PC.
- Now the real process begins. Boot into CWM recovery. Switch off your phone, then press and hold down “Volume up and down buttons” and then press “Power buttons” altogether till phone screen is back on again. While rebooting in CWM recovery, you scroll up and down with the help of “Volume up and down buttons” and choose with the help of “Power button”. Select option “Reboot now” to boot into CWM recovery.
- In case you don’t like Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 after flashing then you can restore your previous Samsung original ROM by making a Nandroid backup now. To make a back up, Go to “Backup and Restore” and on next screen, choose “Backup” again. Once backup is completed go back to recovery main menu.
- With the help of scroller Volume buttons, choose “Install zip from sdcard” > Choose zip from sdcard. Select file “Samsung-Updates.com-GT-I9300_BTU_1_20120806161432_al03it6wa2.zip” on the Sd card and confirm it’s installation by selecting “Yes”. This installs XXBLG8 ICS Firmware on your phone.
- Once the firmware is installed, Select “Go back” option > “Reboot System”. Wait till phone boots up. After rebooting turn the phone off again and boot into CWM recovery method as explained in above steps.
Issues Faced :- Sometimes phone do not boot up after installing this firmware, if that happens for 5 minutes, Remove your phone’s battery and re-insert
it to restart it again and then boot into recovery. Wipe data by selecting “wipe data/factory reset” if and only if your phone doesn’t boot after installing the above firmware.
- With the help of scroller Volume buttons, choose “Install zip from sdcard” > Choose zip from sdcard. Select file “Samsung-Updates.com-GT-I9300-BTU-JB_4_1_1-I9300XXBLH4-OTA-INTERNAL.zip “ on the Sd card and confirm it’s installation by selecting “Yes”. This installs XXBLH4 Jelly Bean Firmware on your phone.
- Once the firmware is installed, Select “Go back” option > “Reboot System”. Wait till phone boots into Jelly Bean firmware.
As mentioned above Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4 is only a test build version of original Jelly Bean firmware so it may have some bugs and instability in it. If you face any troublesome issues then you can restore you previous ROM very easily.
How to restore your Previous ROM on Galaxy S3 : –
- Boot into CWM recovery, steps mentioned earlier in the post and with the help of “Volume up and down buttons” scroll to option “backup and restore” and select your previous backed up ROM from the list with the help of “Power button”. Once selected the ROM restoring process begins.
If you have successfully applied all above steps, you Galaxy S3 must be running on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM XXBLH4. Do let us know if you face any issues. Letting developers knows about the various issues, it can helps us to build a stable version for your phone. Some who have downloaded and installed this ROM faced some issues regarding slow processing, developers are currently working on it. As speculated now Samsung going to release official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for Galaxy S3 on 29 August, but it’s just a speculation anyways enjoy this ROM till then 🙂