Do you know about Windows 10? If no, you have already missed a great event by Microsoft. Microsoft has just launched Windows 10 and conducted the Windows 10 Technical Preview for consumers. Anybody can download the Preview version of Windows 10 and get a completely new experience of Windows.
Microsoft launched several versions of Windows earlier, but its Windows 10 is a much better and an improvised version than all of those. You must try this on your PC. If you really want to use Windows 10 Technical Preview, you have two options.
- You can install it like primary OS. Or,
- You can install it virtually.
If you do not like to change your primary or current operating system right now, you can go with the second solution. Use VMWare Workstation or Virtual Box to install Windows 10 within moments.
Why should you try Windows 10 virtually?
There are several reasons behind this.
- You do not have to create any backup or anything else of your current data.
- As it is a preview version, it may have bugs or other errors. Virtual installation does not damage any file of your hard drive. If you really get any problem in Windows 10 Tech Preview, you can simply delete the virtual installation files. But if you install Windows 10 like primary OS, you cannot do so. You will have to reinstall other OS except Windows 10.
- If you want to dual boot other Windows with Windows 10, you can. However, it creates different problems in your hard drive.
- If you are using Linux or Mac, you can simply use Virtual Box in order to install Windows 10.
- If you are a tech blogger and want to write about the installation process of Windows 10 with screenshots, Virtual Box will help you a lot.
There are many more reasons to use Virtual Box instead of changing primary OS.
Anyways, if you want to do the same to get Windows 10 experience, the following steps are for you.
How to download Windows 10 Technical Preview?
You have two options. First, you can join Windows Insider Program to help Microsoft build a better Windows. That means, you can download Windows 10 Tech Preview as well as share your opinion with Microsoft by joining Windows Insider Program. To join and download Windows 10 ISO image, head over to this link.
Or you can use the following links to download the ISO file directly.
- English 64-bit (x64)
- English 32-bit (x86)
- English (United Kingdom) 64-bit (x64)
- English (United Kingdom) 32-bit (x86)
- Chinese (Simplified) 64-bit (x64)
- Chinese (Simplified) 32-bit (x86)
- Portuguese (Brazil) 64-bit (x64)
- Portuguese (Brazil) 32-bit (x86)
How to install Windows 10 in Virtual Box?
Before starting installation, you will have to do two important things. At first, check the system requirements of Windows 10. If you want to install 32-bit, make sure you have 2GB of RAM. If you want to install 64-bit, make sure that you have 4GB of RAM.
No, I am not wrong. Actually, when you setup virtual machine and give half of your RAM to the virtual machine, eventually, you will provide 1GB of RAM for 32-bit and 2GB of RAM for 64-bit of Windows 10. Still confused? Let me explain.
Suppose, you have 4GB of RAM. If you want to install 64-bit Windows 10 virtually, you will have to provide atleast 2GB of RAM. This is mandatory. In addition, if you provide more than 2GB of RAM, you may face different problems after starting the virtual machine. In a simple line, do not give more than half of your RAM to the virtual machine.
Let’s get started
At first, open your Virtual Box and click the New button.
Now, go through the steps. Make sure you have chosen RAM under Green level.
Now, select Create new hard disk.
Do not select Use existing hard disk. You may fall in trouble later.
One more thing which you should change is Virtual Disk Type. During setup, you will get a window as follows;
Select HDD and click Next. Also, select Hard Drive size atleast 50GB.
After doing all those aforementioned steps, click the Storage link from your right side.
Click on IDE Controller and Add CD/DVD Device.
Then hit the Choose Disk button and select your downloaded Windows 10 ISO file. After that, hit OK.
Now, you can Start the installation process.
You may have to enter the Product Key of Windows 10 Technical Preview during installation. Just enter the following key;
If everything is ok, your installation will be completed successfully within few minutes. Do let us know if you have still any kind of problem.