In my previous post I have discussed about Meta tag optimization, in this post we will see how to pick right Tags for your blog Post to boost your search engine ranking and at the same time to make it a delight for your viewers to browse through your content.Tags have a lot of potential they can help you replace your search and related post function to a great extent.
Here are some tips to help you pick right tags for blog posts:
Using WordPress Tag pages:
Now WordPress is really a magic wand for bloggers because of its rich features. Whenever you create a post and add a tag to it WordPress automatically creates a ‘Tag page’ for that tag and all your posts associated with that tag get listed under that page.So how will it help you to get better SEO rank. Well each time a tag page is created the relevant posts are grouped together which helps search engines to better index your blog thus helps to create better rank. But if you fill your posts with irrelevant tags search engines won’t even look at you.
Keyword Research to determine which keywords get the most search engine traffic
There a lots of tools and plugins available to search for relevant keywords.
for searching relevant keywords one can use Google Search-based Keyword Tool or Google Ad words.
Don’t mix Categories and Tags
Well though tags and Categories are similar they are different in many aspects specially when concerned with SEO.
Tags are similar to categories, but they are generally used to describe your post in more detail. Tags are used to complement your categories. The categories you use should be small, each post should be placed in a single category. Remember categories are a part of your navigation system thus each of your category in your blog should be chosen accordingly. And at the same time make sure that you don’t use your Tags as navigation system, use a tag cloud instead if you want to display tags in your sidebar.
A tag cloud is a very clean way of showing which are your most popular tags. The more a tag is used in your posts, the larger the word for that tag will appear.
In a Nutshell, you need to :
- Your Tag should be the most important key phrase that you can think of
For example, if your post is about a person or a product, stick to just their name.
- Keep your tags around 2-3 words in length, as a single word may not be enough, don’t make it too long.
- Try to include keywords in your title also.
- Your tags should be Capitalized, spell correctly and don’t include any special characters or quotes (“). Use spaces between words, and not dashes or underscores.
- While selecting a tag keep in mind the words that people in general would be using to search that info on net.
- Stick to tags that appear in your content, or are common variations.Don’t include a tag just because its popular your tags must be relevant to your content.
Now if you want some more reading on Tags and how to use them refer to these articles :
For difference between Tags and Categories: