Motorola released an updated version of Moto G which was released previously and was named as Moto G 2nd Gen. The device has got a bigger screen size, Minor Specifications upgrade and supports an external SD card which will attract buyers as the previous Moto G comes with a limited storage and many didn’t like it. On the software side the device comes with Vanilla version of Android 4.4.4 out of the box with no Bloat ware on the device. If you want to customize the device any further, then you need to Root Moto G 2nd Gen. There are only a few guides over the internet and some of them are not user friendly. So we thought of writing a guide on “How to Root Moto G 2nd Gen“.
The method to Root Moto G 2nd Gen was developed by a Xda Developer named Suhas.Holla who posted the guide on XDA-Developers site. As mentioned on the thread the method is working flawlessly on Moto G 2nd Gen devices. So you can try this guide without any fear of bricking your device. However TheGeekDaily is not responsible for your bricked devices and damaged SD Cards, This guide is for educational purposes only.
Prerequisites & Downloads to Root Moto G 2nd Gen:-
- Make sure that you have drivers installed on your device. If not you can download them here.
- You need to Download Android SDK for this purpose. You can download it here.
- Download Recovery Image from Here.
- Download Super SU file from Here.
- Download Fastboot files from Here.
- Make sure that you have charged your device atleast 69%
- Backup Important data on your device as you may loss the data on your device during the process.
- After installing Android SDK copy the mFastboot folder to the following path c:\program files\android-sdk\platform-tools
To root your device, first you need to unlock the bootloader of the device followed by flashing the custom recovery and Super SU which completes the process of rooting Moto G 2nd Gen. So first lets have a look at unlocking the bootloader of Moto G 2nd Gen.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G 2nd Gen:-
As we told earlier that you need to unlock bootloader to root your device. To unlock bootloader of your device just follow the below steps.
- Start command prompt on your computer and punch in the code CD C:\PROGRAM FILES\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.
- Connect your device in bootloader mode. To do this turn your device off and Turn it on by pressing power and Volume Up key at once which will take you into Bootloader mode.
- Next connect your device to the computer with the help of USB cable. Wait for a few seconds as it may take some time to install the necessary drivers.
- After successful installation of the drivers type the following code in cmd window fastboot oem get_unlock_data.
- Now you will get an output on the window which looks similar to the below one
(bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
- Now copy the first string without the word Bootloader which will look like 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
- Now headover to the Motorola’s official site here. Create an account there and enter the string which you copied earlier.
- After entering the key and submitting it you will receive an Unlock key by email. After receiving the key type the following code in the command window fastboot oem unlock Unlock_Key
You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of Moto G 2nd Gen and Next part is rooting the device which is pretty easy. So lets have a look at the rooting procedure.
Procedure to Root Moto G 2nd Gen:-
- Copy the Super SU zip you have downloaded earlier to the root of internal storage.
- Now boot your device into bootloader mode and connect your device.
- Now type in the command prompt fastboot flash recovery TWRP2801-titan-motog-2014.img
- After successful flashing disconnect the device and Boot into recovery mode by turning on the device power and Volume down.
- Next select Recovery from the options.
- Now you should be in recovery mode.
- Click on Install to install Super SU and select SD card followed by selecting the Super Su zip file copied earlier.
- Select the file and swipe to install it.
- After successful installation reboot the device and enjoy root.
Hope this guide on “How to Root Moto G 2nd Gen” certainly helped to root your device. If you are stuck at any step do let us know via comments so that we can help you out.