We had already covered a detailed guide on How to root Xiaomi Redmi 1S which is the successor of Xiaomi Redmi 2. After the huge success of Xiaomi Redmi 1S, Xiaomi decided to amaze it’s consumers with their smartphone range and succeeded with the release of Xiaomi Redmi 2. Xiaomi Redmi 2 is an amazing device which is worth the price. Many users are still trying to get their hands on the device and the one’s who got the device are in search of guides to Root Xiaomi Redmi 2 & Install CWM Recovery on it. If you are also one of them then you can follow our guide.
Xiaomi Redmi 2 sports a 4.7″ IPS touch screen display which delivers vivid colors. The device is powered by 1.2 GHz Quad-Core processor coupled with 2 GB of Ram under the hood. The device runs on Xiaomi’s own forked version of android which is MIUI 6. MIUI is just a themed version of Android and you will get all the features of Android.
Rooting helps you flash custom ROMs and tweaks on your device. It also voids warranty. You can also enjoy latest Android versions on your device without even waiting for the company to release the update. You can enjoy a lot of benefits as a super user which are impossible on a normal device. If you have decided to root xiaomi redmi 2 then do follow our guide without skipping any steps.
Prerequisites to Root Xiaomi Redmi 2
- Make sure that you are trying this guide on Xiaomi Redmi 2. Don’t try this guide on other Xiaomi Redmi devices which might brick them.
- Make sure that you perform a backup of all important data on your device as you may lose the data during the procedure.
- Make sure that you have drivers installed on your computer.
- Make sure that you have enabled USB Debugging on your device.
- Make sure that you have at least 85% of battery remaining on your device.
Downloads to Root Xiaomi Redmi 2
After checking the prerequisites, You need to download few files to root Xiaomi Redmi 2. Do check and download them.
- ADB & Fastboot drivers
- CWM Recovery Image
Procedure to Install CWM Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 2
First you need to install a custom recovery on your device in order to root your device. Follow below steps to flash CWM Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 2.
- Make sure that you have read prerequisites and downloaded the necessary files onto your machine.
- Extract the ADB & Fastboot drivers somewhere on your desktop.
- Rename the CWM Recovery Image ==> “recovery.img” and transfer it to the extracted folder.
- Now turn off your device completely and boot it into the fastboot mode to do this you can press volume down + Power button and release them upon seeing the logo on the screen.
- Connect your device to the computer with the help of a USB Cable.
- Now go to the extracted folder and press “Shift + Right Click” and select “Open Command window here“.
- Now type in the following commands
- fastboot devices (It will show up your device name if it is properly connected).
- Next type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and hit enter.
- It will take a while for the procedure to complete.
- After the completion of the process you can type in “fastboot reboot” and hit enter.
That’s it you have successfully installed CWM Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 2 and just a step away to root Xiaomi Redmi 2.
Procedure to Root Xiaomi Redmi 2
- Make sure that your device has a custom recovery installed and you have downloaded SuperSu.Zip from above links.
- Now transfer the downloaded “SuperSu.zip” to your device’s SD Card.
- Next you need to boot your device into recovery mode for that you need to turn off your devcie and press “Power + Volume Up” simultaneously.
- Now your device boots into CWM Recovery Screen.
- Select “Install Zip from SD Card” and select SuperSu.Zip.
- Flashing may take a while be patient.
- After successful flashing of SuperSu.Zip, Select Reboot from the recovery screen.
You have successfully rooted Xiaomi Redmi 2 by following our guide on “How to Root Xiaomi Redmi 2 & Install CWM Recovery“. If you are having any queries do drop them below via comments. Do share the article if it helped you.