OfficePoltergeist | Play Pranks on Your Friends with This Open-Source Software

Have you ever thought of having a software which would do the following on your friend’s computer?

• Play spooky sounds
  • Open or close cd drives
  • Transmit text through your victim’s keyboard
  • Make windows shake
  • Turn monitors on and off
  • Move windows slightly left and right
  • Send pop up alert messages

I found a software which exactly does all these stuff, all thanks to developers of OfficePoltergeist.

How does OfficePoltergeist work?

OfficePoltergeist sets up a small server running on the victim’s machine. The program, which hides in memory while it runs, waits silently for a connection on port 666.

With the OfficePoltergeist Controller, you can be the poltergeist:

When you’re done, shutdown the server on the remote victim’s computer.

Leave no trace… just like a real poltergeist!

If you want to give it a try on your own machine before unleashing it on your friends and coworkers, it should work just fine. Hit some buttons… play around. You’ll figure it out. Believe me, it ain’t rocket science.

How do I download OfficePoltergeist?

Version 1.1 of OfficePoltergeist was released on October 21, 2005.

Run it straight from our site or right-click on the link and use “Save Target As…” (or whatever) to keep a copy permanently on your computer.

• OfficePoltergeist Controller – controls the poltergeist
  • OfficePoltergeist Server – runs on the victim’s machine
  • mem86control.exe – same as above, only named something clever to evade detection

Please use OfficePoltergeist responsibly.

remember — ghosts are often mischievous, but never evil.

How do I know that OfficePoltergeist does what it says it does…
… and nothing more?

To prove to yourself that OfficePoltergeist is all treats and no tricks, you can download the source.

As of October 21, 2005, when version 1.1 was released, OfficePoltergeist required a beta version of AutoIt v3 to compile properly… presumably, that’ll change as AutoIt continues to get more and more awesome.

OfficePoltergeist was built by jon roig and released under the GPL license.

How do I trick someone into downloading OfficePoltergeist?

OfficePoltergeist really isn’t set up that way.

The idea is this: when your coworker is out smoking crack (or whatever he or she does on “break”), take that opportunity to go to the victim’s machine, fire up officepoltergeist.com and run the mem86control.exe program straight off the website. When the OfficePoltergeist server first loads, it’ll tell you the ip address of the victim’s computer, then continue to run silently in the background. (You’ll want to write the ip address down — you’ll need it to connect with the OfficePoltergeist controller.)

Once your stealth mission is completed, go back to your computer, start the OfficePoltergeist controller, connect to your victim’s machine, and find your inner poltergeist.

Does OfficePoltergeist work behind a firewall?

Yes. As long as port 666 is open, that is.

Does the WindowsXP Firewall mess with the OfficePoltergeist server?

It can… but since you’re there when you install the OfficePoltergeist server, why not hit the “unblock” button when the alert pops up?

When’s the best time of year to use OfficePoltergeist?

Let’s face it… any time is a good time to play computer pranks on coworkers. April Fool’s Day, Halloween… they are an excellent time to play office pranks. Your coworkers might be expecting you to strike, but it’s all good.

Is there a version for OS X/Linux/Whatever?

Yes! Check out the Mozilla Extension.

My virus scanner identified OfficePoltergeist as a trojan. What’s up with that?

OfficePoltergeist IS a trojan.

Well, kind of. Not in bad way…

It cracks us up that we ended up on some poor, overworked project manager’s spreadsheet somewhere as a trojan horse, but it seems reasonable that OfficePoltergeist is identified that way.

I don’t think they’re implying that OfficePoltergeist has any secret hidden functions or anything…

OfficePoltergeist Home page

16 thoughts on “OfficePoltergeist | Play Pranks on Your Friends with This Open-Source Software

• January 27, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hello. This is kind of an “unconventional” question , but have other visitors asked you how get the menu bar to look like you’ve got it? I also have a blog and am really looking to alter around the theme, however am scared to death to mess with it for fear of the search engines punishing me. I am very new to all of this …so i am just not positive exactly how to try to to it all yet. I’ll just keep working on it one day at a time Thanks for any help you can offer here.

• May 15, 2008 at 4:46 pm

so what’s exactly the use of OfficePoltergeist?

• March 25, 2008 at 2:20 am

@Bryan
    Although my post (and yours,) it appears doesn’t seem to have survived I shall respond anyway, I normally wouldn’t waste my time.
    Why call that man a tool?
    Quite simply because anyone who is so completely lacking in a sense of humour and imagination as to post such a comment as,
    “I don’t really understand the reason why people would want to play computer-based pranks anyway.”
    quite definitely deserves to be called a tool.
    For you Bryan, to then respond to my post with the puerile tactic of throwing my own comment back at me as an insult as well as stating that you think ,
    “computer related pranks are so incredibly juevinile.”
    would also put you well within the particular category of people that are defined as ‘tools.’ It would also I might add put you in the category of ‘humorless old goat!’ LOL, you tool!
    Grab a sense of humour and lighten TF up already. Have you never heard of LAN parties? This computer prank would be ideal for such an event. Essentially any computer network that your job doesn’t rely on would be fair game.
    By the way, checking these sorts of programs to see if they do anything outside of their defined function is really not that hard. To get your knickers in a knot about what you think it might do other then what it says it does shows a lack of understanding.

• March 24, 2008 at 2:26 am

The tears will last longer than the laughter. Don’t even think about doing this one, unless you want to end up in the unemployment line.

This seemingly innocent prank could also house a virus, spyware, rootkit, malware, snooping software, etc.

Do you want to be the idiot who breached your company or organization’s network? I would fire your arse on the spot.

• March 22, 2008 at 11:51 pm

hmmm.

This sort of software might be good for a laugh, but it is against mine (and many employers) security policy and/or contract of employment relating to unauthorized access to computers, installing of unauthorized software and unauthorized access to computer systems not explicitly permitted access to.

If you install this you could be breaking several company rules and get yourself fired, or at least in trouble, so it’s worth considering this before you install something like this!

• March 19, 2008 at 8:41 pm

It is blatantly going to be detected in a workplace, so there isn’t really much point in using it. I don’t really understand the reason why people would want to play computer-based pranks anyway.

Lame?

• March 18, 2008 at 3:13 am

It is in fact a trojan… a trojan is used to control a remote pc… which is exactly what this does.

• March 15, 2008 at 8:13 am

This is just to say that the tool is now essentially useless since i cant use in the office since it is detected as a Trojan. This website is also blocked by websense, i only got to it through a proxy

• March 14, 2008 at 12:50 am

why is the CONTROLLER part of this also detected as a trojan? that sounds fishy to me…

• March 13, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I agree that its easily detected by almost all anti viruses as harmful virus or Trojan but its a harmless Trojan, i tried it on my comp it worked well.
    Anyway if you have any important data on your computer better not try it.

• March 13, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Symantec seems to think this is dangerous. I think I will believe it. Better save then sorry.

As I may assume most company networks are protected against virusses, there doesn’t seem to be a great audiance for this prank…

• March 12, 2008 at 2:58 am

that would not be a trojan that is an active control

• March 11, 2008 at 8:50 pm

not infected, this program in essence IS a virus, you have a server on the remote (victim’s) machine and you control it through the client on your (attacker) machine, it is harmless and nothing but a prank

• March 11, 2008 at 7:50 pm