There were NEWS of a new ultrasn0w version that was to release this monday, but it comes as a surprise from Jailbreak Community that new Ultrasn0w is available that is capable of unlocking iPhone 4 and iPhone 3gs on new iOS 5.0.1.
Though this new version doesn’t support any new base-band version, it does unlock the following base-bands:
I know most of you are aware of what is Ultrasn0w and what is this iPhone unlocking thing all about.. but for those who are not, iPhones are available in two varieties: Unlocked and Locked. Where like others Apple also offers iPhones that work with any Carrier, but they are very costly when compared to Locked once, which comes with 1-2 year contracts. Mostly people prefer buying Contracted iPhones which works with just one operator’s SIM: the one from whom you purchased contract.
Thanks to our Jailbreak and Unlocking community that comes up with tools and tricks now and then which help us unlock our iPhones and run them on any operators SIM. In the very same context, iPhone dev team have produced their child they call Ultrasn0w, which is available free of cost from cydia.
The process is simple enough, but a few prerequisite that you need to follow before using Ultrasn0w and those are:
1) Your device should have one of the following basebands:
If you are not sure of your baseband goto Settings App -> General -> About and at the bottom you can find Modem Firmware. Compare your modem firmware with the one in the list above, and if it matches you are good to unlock.
2) To unlock using Ultrasn0w, you need to jailbreak your iOS device. In current context we are talking about Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 which is capable to unlock iDevice on iOS 5.0.1. You will have to remember that (by the time of writing) there is no method you can jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untether. You can still jailbreak it semi-tether which in simple sense means, if at all you will ever have to restart your iPhone you won’t have to re-jailbreak it again to use day-to-day features such as texting and calls. And once you are back to your computer, you can always re-jailbreak it to activate cydia and all tweaks. You can use RedSn0w 0.9.9b9 to jailbreak your iDevice on iOS 5.0.1.
3) There is no third prerequisite 😀
If you have these prerequisite you can follow the following steps which will help you unlock your iDevice running iOS 5.0.1
1) If you have already jailbroken, then you might get a new icon on your spring-board named “Cydia”: Launch it
2) Cydia supports the concept called repositories which are owned by different users and each one has tweaks and apps from there respective owners. You’ll have to add a new repo to download Ultrasn0w 1.2.5
Tap on “Manage” tab -> followed by “Sources” -> Tap on “Add”
3) When you tap on “Add” a new pop up will appear stating “Enter Cydia/APT URL”.
4) Enter http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com and tap “Add Source” button.
5) Cydia will now refresh and load the new source. Once done, you can tap on the newly added source and you’ll find Ultrasn0w inside.
6) Simply tap on Ultrasn0w and tap “install” on top right corner.
7) Done, now you are the owner of an unlocked iPhone 4/3gs
Hope this tutorial was easy to understand, if you experience any difficulty please share with us via comment. If you want an article on how to Jailbreak your iPhone please let us know, will try to write it at the earliest.