Oh! So you were going through the pages of web and came across the term ‘VPN‘? Confused about what does it mean? Bring an pleasuring end to your confusion by going through this article.
What is VPN?
Let’s follow the ideology of ‘keep it simple, silly’ and be simple in explaining the VPN. In simplest words, the ‘VPN‘ that stands for ‘Virtual Private Network‘ is a modern technology that is used to create a secure network over ‘Internet’.
This technology is mostly used by the IT companies to create a secure private network so as to allow their employees to have the feel of office, while outside. With VPN technology, an employee of a particular company can access company related important files, documents, emails. In short, he/she can turn his/her home into a virtual office.
Apart from the IT companies, the ‘Virtual Private Network‘ is also very useful for universities as they can create a virtual network that can be accessed by all of their campuses.
How to Use VPN?
So, I hope that by now you have knowledge of what VPN is? Here’s how to use VPN?
- To use VPN, you need to have VPN client on your system. There are many available to choose from. It’s better to ask your company/university for the VPN client.
- Once you have it, just install it on your PC/Laptop.
- Make sure that you are connected to Internet, and then open the VPN client
- Just enter the login credentials that are, of course provided by the person who set VPN. Your company or university in this case.
- Once you have entered the login credentials, you will be able to access the company’s resources.
- Note that you may be able to access the resources from the desktop itself, which in IT language is called ‘Virtual Desktop’. It may also possible that you need to log on to any particular web address so as to access the VPN. Well, this stuff depends on VPN software.
So, now you are connected to virtual private network, and can now access your company’s resources. You have now your office in your PC/Laptop, anywhere you go. Most importantly, you are now completely secure from the naughty eyes.
PPTP VPN Configuration for Windows
If you are not in the mood of using any VPN client due to one reason or more, then this alternative method is for you, as in this, we’ll not be using any VPN client. Cool, isn’t it? Here is the guide to use VPN without nay client.
- First of all, click on the ‘Start‘ button and from the menu that appears, select ‘Connect To’ option.
- From the window that appears, look for the option that reads ‘Set up a connection or network’. Yeah, just select it.
- Now you are required to choose a connection option. From the no. of available options, select ‘Connect to a workplace’.
- In the next window, you need to select the workplace that you wish to connect to. Select ‘Use my Internet Connection (VPN)‘.
- Note that once you perform the previous step, you may see a dialog box that will ask you ‘Do you want to use a connection that you already have?’ Just click on ‘No’, create a new connection, then click on ‘Next‘.
- The next window requires you to enter the Internet address that you want to connect to. In the Internet Address: field, type pptp.vpn.ucla.edu.
- The second field is Destination Name: . In this field, type UCLA VPN. After filling both fields, just click ‘Next‘.
- Now you need to enter your username and password. In the Username field:, you need to enter UCLA Logon ID. The UCLA Logon ID is nothing but the text before @ucla.edu.
- Type your UCLA Logon ID password in Password: field. After entering both details, just click on ‘Create’, and then ‘Close’.
- You are done with the VPN connection creation part.
- In order to connect to VPN server, just click on the ‘Start’ button and select the ‘Connect To’ option.
- In the window that comes up, you will see your newly created VPN connection. Highlight this connection and then click ‘Connect’.
- That’s all!!
Facing problem in any step? Don’t panic! We’re here to help. Drop your problem in the comment box.